Outside normal surgery hours you can still phone your GP surgery, but you’ll usually be directed to an out-of-hours service. The out-of-hours period is from 6.30pm to 8am on weekdays and all day at weekends and on bank holidays.
There are also another number of options you can take when your GP surgery is closed.
- NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have difficulties communicating or hearing, you can: call 18001 111 on a textphone. use the NHS111 British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter service if you’re deaf and want to use the phone service.
- Visit the local Walk-in center at Sheppey Community Hospital.The Walk-in center is open 8am-8pm every day of the week including bank holidays.
- Visit the local Walk-in mobile unit. The mobile unit is open 9am-6pm (closes between 1pm and 2pm),Monday – Friday, and on Saturday it is open 9am-12pm. The mobile unit is located at the following locations; Monday- Sainsbury Sittingbourne, Tuesday and Thursday- Asda Sittingbourne, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday – Tesco Sheerness.
Extended and Improved Access
- Call your surgery during opening hours to book an appointment via the Swale Extended Access Service, you can book an appointment at a number of different surgeries over Sittingbourne and Sheerness at different times over the week. We at Iwade Health Center hold our extended access clinic on a Monday evening between 6pm and 8pm.
- Call 999 in an emergency situation.